4 Cucumber Recipes for Summer Harvests with Burpee
It’s cucumber season! I grow these year in and year out because they are SO abundant once they start producing.
This year, I had the pleasure of planting some perfect Burpee Plants cucumbers. Thankfully so, because my own cucumber starts failed, and I needed some plants that I knew would grow to be healthy and happy. All Burpee Plants are trialed and selected to ensure your gardening success, whether an expert or beginner gardener. Last season, the ground squirrels ate all the leaves off my cucumber plants, which eventually killed them. This year, I knew that healthy seedlings would be the first step in pest prevention.
I have been a fan of the Burpee brand for decades, and my love continues on as I have my own garden now.
Burpee and I have teamed up to grow these gorgeous cukes and bring you four staple recipes. I hope you’ll try them and enjoy!
1. Cucumber and Avocado Toast
A twist on the Millenial brunch classic, avocado toast, this delight is sure to wow your guests. The goat cheese and chive blossoms really take it to the next level!
- 1 slice of bread of your choice
1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of goat cheese
- 1/2 avocado
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- Sprinkle of Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- Chive blossoms
- First, as your bread is toasting, mix your goat cheese, avocado, and lemon juice into a nice creamy spread.
- Spread your cheese mixture over the toast, adding cucumber next. Sprinkle Everything Bagel seasoning and then adorn with edible flowers. The chive blossoms truly add the perfect zip of onion, and I highly recommend finding some (growing some!) to add.
2. Creamy Cucumber Salad
This salad is a bit southern with its creaminess, and I assure you is the perfect staple for your next potluck. It’s tangy and sweet with that perfect cucumber crunch.
- 2 thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Dill
- 1/4 cup of pickled onions + 1 tablespoon of the juice
- 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- Add as thinly-as-can-be-sliced cucumbers to a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together mayo, sour cream, pickled onion juice, granulated garlic, sugar, and pepper. Fold into the cucumbers. Then add dill and fold again.
- Add your pickled onions and dill on top.
3. Cucumber + Strawberry Smoothie
My children chug these smoothies! It’s basically spa water with substance and just enough sweetness to put a smile on your face. These are an easy summer staple.
- 1 small cucumber
- 3/4 cup of small strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 cup of ice
- 1 cup of almond milk
- Add everything to your blender in this order: ice, cucumber, strawberry, honey, almond milk.
- Blend and enjoy!
4. Cucumber + Feta Quinoa
I love to serve this alongside a protein like salmon or barbeque chicken. It’s light and refreshing but filling too!
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 1 cup of feta cheese
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar
- Prepare your quinoa as the label instructs, and while simmering, chop your veggies.
- Chop cucumber and tomatoes and set aside.
- Once quinoa is done, layer your cucumber, tomatoes, and feta on top, then drizzle olive oil and balsamic, finishing with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss everything together and enjoy!