Fried Green Tomatoes
So are the green tomatoes a variety of tomato or unripe tomatoes?? That is the question. The answer is both, ha! But for me, it’s unripe tomatoes, typically at the end of the season when there’s less sunlight and the fruit just stops ripening.
Also, I’ve been making little short videos for a great brand that I love, Digz gloves! It’s just a fun little collaboration that we’ve been doing, but I’ve been hoarding the recipes!
Here’s our fried green tomato recipe and I hope you try it. SO easy and a crowd-pleaser for sure.
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
- 3 large or 6 medium unripe (green) tomatoes sliced about 1/4” thin
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Sunflower oil (or vegetable oil)
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan until piping hot. I use sunflower oil and make sure it’s about 3” deep.
- While that heats up, prep the rest. In one bowl put your eggs and milk, in another put your flour, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and paprika, and in another your cornmeal and breadcrumbs mixed together.
- Dredge your tomatoes first in the egg mixture, then coat them in the flour, and then the cornmeal mix. Then plop into your hot oil until golden brown on each side. Don’t walk away from these, they cook so fast!
- Enjoy with dipping sauce like thousand island or aioli.